9.25.2015

Final report from Kata

I spent my EVS at Outward Bound Romania. It was a meaningful experience with lot of adventures.
It was a quick decision to apply for an EVS project and I was surprised when I found out that I am chosen for the project. The timing was just perfect I wanted to leave my current job and  learn more about the world to broaden my horizons.

I accepted it and I moved to Romania for 9 months. At the beginning  I was  a little bit lost in a strange city. I felt alone although my colleagues were friendly and supportive. They took me to the best places where I could meet nice people and learn folk dance. It helped me a lot to integrate and find local friends and company.
My accommodation was in Marosvásárhely and during the winter I worked in the office. I helped to write projects and I was making graphic design, logos, leaflets and posters as well.
After spring the outdoor programs began in the youth center of OB, in Sovata. At the beginning I was there mainly during the weekends, but from May when I almost moved there, because of the quantity of programs.
The adventurous and magical journey begins. This was what I enjoyed the most. I took part in outdoor programs based on experiential education as a participant and assistant trainer as well.
I attended a Training of Trainers course where I got tools and techniques to use in experiential education. After the training assisting on the outdoor programs I deepened my knowledge about non-formal education. I was involved in planning and implementing activities. I learned how to design a program according to the group's needs and expectation and I lead activities as well.
During my EVS project I tried to take part actively in a local social and cultural life. I have attended folk dance courses where I learned dances, songs and habits from the local region. I went to theatre, concerts and other cultural events. I have been in a folk dance camp where I have seen how substantial is for the locals to preserve their traditions.
Those programs provided me a wide range of possibilities to meet many interesting people and make new friendships. I have met people from different backgrounds and nations. Spending more time with them I realized that even there are differences in our way of thinking and different point of view I could find the way to understand each other.
The project provided me opportunities and enough time for focusing on myself and for self-reflection. I have learned a lot about myself I realized my skills, strengths and weaknesses. I had  opportunity to overcome my fear of the heights, to complete a hiking tour with sleeping outside in winter, which made me stronger physically and mentally. Overcoming these challenges I realized my own boundaries and potential.

It was one of the the best periods of my life full of memorable experiences. I have learned a lot about myself about facing challenges, problem solving and persistence. I am thankful that I could share those moments with wonderful  people in a familiar atmosphere. I am glad that I could meet them and I hope we will see each other in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment